Entertainment, Sports, and Protecting Your Personal Brand
Before your image, voice, intellectual property or talent is released to the public, you should seek the advice of an entertainment lawyer. Many talented artists and sportsmen go for years taking advice from other industry professionals without ever having hired their own legal representative. Your personal and financial interests your own unique talents, images and ideas are at risk unless you have taken steps to legally protect your rights.
Also, see our section devoted to intellectual property, copyrights and trademarks.
Here’s why you should consult an attorney:
- Although sports and entertainment talent often share great relationships with their agents, the agent is a business, making money off of the talent. It is prudent to have an entertainment attorney review your contract just as you would any other financial agreement that could affect you well into the future.
- Contracts drawn up for the distribution of intellectual property usually are initiated by the buyer who will be distributing the property and are created so that they gain maximum profit. An entertainment attorney will help make sure you are getting the best deal possible. Also, see our section on intellectual property.
- Sometimes it is necessary to trademark your name or intellectual property. We can help you make sure no one is making money off you without your knowledge or authorization.
- With the ubiquity of the internet piracy is rampant. Legal cease and desist letters are often necessary to make sure your likeness, name, creative work or intellectual property are not being exploited for monetary gain.
- If you work in television, radio, film, photography, fashion, computer programming, or any other type of media; or if you have invented something which requires patents; or if you are a talented athlete, the companies using your talent have corporate lawyers representing their interests – you should too.
Our Services for Athletes
- Contract negotiation – player’s contracts, appearances and endorsements
- Mediation/Arbitration—injuries, grievances, unfair discipline, insurance, workers’ comp and disability
- Relocation and purchasing a new home
- Finding athlete representation in Florida
- Marital and family issues
- Post-career planning and asset management
Our Services for Entertainment Industry Professionals
- Entertainment contracts – production or artist’s legal agreements
- National and global distribution rights – sales, negotiations, limitations
- Artist representation – music producers, film writers, directors, actors, models, singers, musicians, writers, and any other media talent
- Public image protection – release, protection from defamation, compensation
- Errors and omissions – insurance for publicly broadcasted media
- Celebrity spokesperson agreements
- Artist tours and appearances
- Corporate formation of a public persona
- Film financing agreements
- Web development and new media agreements
- Software licensing agreements
- Independent label consultation
Contact The Louis Law Firm today at (407) 603-6044 or fill out our intake form online for a consultation to discuss your entertainment and sports law needs.